Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Commercial Break

Before I continue with reports from what has been dubbed ‘retirement’, a ‘sabbatical’, and ‘Katie’s EatPrayLove’ it has been brought to my attention that a key component of this journey has been left out: the send-off!

First, I’d like to thank my roommates, new and old, at 3622 for letting me occupy the ‘really big couch’ for the first ten days in February. This involved a sacrifice of the living room, and for some quite a lot of manpower while you helped me move my bit of stuff, which there was much more of than originally thought. I will save any elaboration on that for an upcoming post on ‘minimalism and knowing oneself’:) Not only would I like to thank them for the space, but for their time and energy as I mulled this idea around for months and months while they patiently listened…and for the fabulous going away bash!
An equally grateful shout out goes to friends, family, and my TRP folks. Thanks for your support and especially for listening.:)

Returning briefly to the subject of my ‘bit of stuff’, this adventure was made much easier by Susan and Stu, who donated a fair part of their basement to house my belongings. Thank you thank you thank you!

Lastly, I want to tell you about my last few days in the States, between Washington, DC and Madrid. I flew to NY on February 10 to stay with my Aunt Kathleen and Uncle Dennis along with my parents, who had come up to see me off. The night I arrived we all went out to dinner and then went home to chat and watch TV. My Aunt went out to bring something to my cousin, and when she returned my brother Charlie was with her! He had purchased a ticket two weeks earlier and not told anyone. My parents had not seen him since his return from deployment so this was extra special. The next day my Aunt Betty Ann drove down from Westchester to see all of us and we went to lunch. That evening my Aunt and Uncle were gracious enough to host both Wynnes and Sciarinis for a little party. After we had eaten dinner and were getting ready to dig into some cannolis someone hugged me from behind-it was my sister Colleen! She also flew in to surprise my parents and I for the weekend.:) Having the entire family in the same place (which doesn’t happen often these days) meant the world to me, and I am so thankful to my family for the perfect send-off:)

So now I hope everyone is feeling warm and fuzzy all over, I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.


No comments: