Tuesday, February 22, 2011

All the World is a Stage

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received came initially from my seventh grade drama teacher Mr. Lambert. Our class was practicing for our first public performance, a one-act play. At the age of 13 I envisioned a career on the stage (never mind my fear of speaking in front of my class!) as the star of a hit Broadway musical. Washington Irving Middle School was only the beginning of my rise to stardom. Mr. Lambert told us that every actor/actress forgets lines or next steps from time, but the key to the audience never finding out is to ‘move forward with confidence.’ 

At the age of 29 I may not have reached my adolescent career aspirations (yet:)) but this guidance meant for the stage has made me a much better traveler. In many instances I may have absolutely no idea where I am, where I am going, or how to get back to point A but no one around me is the wiser (at least I don't think...:)) because I move as if I am on a mission. If I need to stop and reassess, I pretend to look at my phone or find something in my purse. Then I make a very confident about-face if I realize I am going the wrong way. If I am really lost, I hide behind something and consult my map. And if I am really really lost? I start asking the locals who are always obliging, especially here in Morocco.

I say that this advice came to me initially through Mr. Lambert because years later a friend reminded me of this same concept, but in the context of showing confidence through posture even if one does not feel confident in the moment. Essentially, ‘fake it til you make it’ whether walking down the street, going into an interview, or walking into a bar. Like your mama always said (ok like my mama always said) stand up straight!

As I wandered from the ‘Camping Miramonte’ (where I am not camping, but rather sharing a bungalow with another World Unite volunteer) down through the city to the Grand Socco (essentially the main plaza) and then through the Medina (old part of Tangier where the streets are narrow) I walked like I was on a mission. I had arrived the night before by ferry from the Spanish city of Tarifa after spending two days with my friend Angela in the town of Motril. Southern Spain was breathtaking and I happily committed myself to eat only calamari and drink Mosto (grape juice) until I left. Upon arriving in Tangier I hopped in a taxi whose driver seemed intent on playing tour guide and thankfully spoke Spanish:)
 
When we reached Miramonte it was starting to get dark, and heeding Lonely Planet’s advice for single women not to walk alone in the street after dark I stayed on the premises which included a restaurant/cafĂ©. I befriended a young Moroccan couple who invited me to sit with them and lent me a phone to call my contact at World Unite to confirm my arrival. The man spoke only a bit of Spanish so I was forced to use what little French I had and the couple was extremely patient. Once they left, I experienced my first tangine. As a once strict vegetarian turned ..ummm…selective vegetarian I must say that this beefy stew was amazing! As if things couldn’t get any better it also contained my favorite French word ‘les petit pois’ (peas)!  I spent the first evening in Morocco settling in and unpacking, happy to have a ‘home’ if only for two weeks. On Saturday I started walking and didn’t stop (ok, well I might have stopped to try a few pastries, and maybe to use the internet and set up my phone…) until I reached the Gran Socco and the Medina. 

And that, my friends, is where I will leave you for now.
View of the coast from a walk on the first weekend.
 View of the beach from Miramonte.
 View of Tangier hillside from Miramonte
 My room at Miramonte
 Miramonte neighborhood...
 Favorite Moroccan dog who we saved from drowning in slightly unflattering position...oops...


1 comment:

MiniMeevin said...

Mon mot favorit est "pomplemouse" (grapefruit).