Friday, April 8, 2011

Sometimes I Forget

Sometimes I forget where I am. Not in the sense that I wear really scandalous outfits out in public, or am surprised when I can't find certain products that are commonplace in the US. But little things tip me off to the fact that I have either forgotten that the society I am currently in has a different perspective, or in contrast make me realize that there are some things in Morocco that I have really gotten used to.

There is a great movie theater in the main square called 'Cinema Rif'. This is a combo movie house and cafe where many foreigners and the artistic Moroccan crowd frequents. There are 1-2 films each day of a varying genre. Yesterday I went with one of my roommates to see 'VickiCristinaBarcelona' which was shown in French. Anyone who has seen this movie knows there are several scenes of a sexual nature, some involving bisexuality. When the lights were turned on at the end of the movie there were only 4 people left in theater including my friend and I. (The other two were a couple who were sitting in the far back, and I don't think they were watching the movie...) While I had not noticed the gradual exit of the other patrons, my friend had realized that during each scene where there was kissing or anything more groups would exit. We were reminded that movies like this are still taboo here as sex or kissing outside of marriage is forbidden.

On a similar note, Monday night I went out to an open mic night with a few friends. Usually I don't stay out very late because my French course is at 9am each morning but on Monday I finally ventured to the next bar with the crowd from open mic night. Bar number 2 was also on the beach, and we got there around 11:30pm. (Monday night is a major going out night in Tangier, who knew?) The bar played mostly American rock music which is popular with this particular crowd. All of a sudden...I saw a young man and woman dancing together! I mean..they were touching each other and they weren't married. You just don't see this kind of thing here, and if you do  it is in the dark corners of a dimly lit restaurant but never in a public place. The fact that my initial reaction to this was shock causes me to realize how accustomed I have become to this part of the culture, but is a stark contrast to the previous taboo that I overlooked completely.

In describing these differences between Morocco and the US or even Ecuador I want to emphasize that the level of my awareness regarding similarities in Moroccans vs other countries I have been to or to  the US greatly surpasses my awareness of the differences. For instance, I am constantly feeling a nostalgia for Ecuador when I am in the home of a Moroccan family. The kindness, generosity, (and the amount of food and drink you are offered!) is virtually the same. People very genuinely want you to feel at home in their country, so strangers you have just met will invite you to their homes or for a coffee. Both Moroccans and Ecuadorians will go far out of their way to make you comfortable. I also see so many similarities between conservative Islam and 'los evangelicos' or conservative Christianity. Many of the same things are forbidden/taboo. And in both religions the faith placed in God and Allah is truly incredible. On the same note of religion there are different levels of faith, dress, etc. in Islam and it seems that everyone pretty much gets along. Having only lived here for 2 months I am sure I am missing many divisions and similarities, and hope to again have the opportunity to live in Morocco so I can continue learning.

While perhaps it sounds cliche, everyday I am reminded in one way or another how similar people are wherever you go. Thus, it confuses me more and more the fear that we have of the things that we perceive as 'different'. There is a fear of Islam that I think is perpetuated by the media and to some extent the government (especially the previous administration) that I find is exploited for political gain, and really robs us of the curiosity that would help to close those gaps of understanding. YES there are extremist groups but they exist in all religions, governments, cultures, etc. When it comes down to it we all want the same things as human beings. Healthy, happy, families and a bit of fun every once in awhile.

Sorry if there was a lot of jumping around in this post, hopefully it made sense. I hope to write another one specifically with some Islam Q & A before I leave. If you have a Q please send it and I will do my research to find an answer:)

1 comment:

Julia said...

Katie, I totally agree with your feeling that people are similar in their generosity and their flaws everywhere you go - I always end up reflecting on that when I'm traveling. Sometimes I hear stories on one continent that seem like de ja vu to stories that I've heard elsewhere, on a different continent. Great blogs, keep em coming!