Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Have I Told You About My Dreams?

And not in the 'I want to be an astronaut' kind of sense. More in the 'wacky and I can't explain them' way. From vivid recollections of the names of people who show up (Ping Zed, Momo) to recurring dreams of childhood friends who I haven't spoken to in many years my REM period tends to be quite exciting. So much that I felt inspired to comment today. For that last year or so I had begun to have a recurring dream that I was in a tsunami. Each dream was different than the last, only a different tsunami scenario that seemed to grow more intense and graphic over time...until they stopped around December. I surmised that these dreams were related to the unconscious stress (on top of the actual 'conscious' stress) of my job ending eventually. So when it ended and I had my plan they stopped all together. But last night I had another! It was pretty intense as I was in a large house or hotel with many people and the water just kept rising and rising until the only ones who were safe were on the top floor, and not everyone made it.

My analysis of this dream is that I am a little unsure of next steps in the coming week. I've spent the past two weeks networking like it was my job and now I've decided to take a bus 8 hours north of Bangkok to an area called Mae Sot. This town is near to one of the refugee camps on the Burmese border and there are oodles of NGOs and volunteer opportunities. So I will be trying my luck there and hopefully gaining some professional experience as well. It will be a new adventure certainly, but with a lot of uncertainties.

I didn't quite expect this to be my first Thailand post, so I'll have to backtrack to Phuket and other BKK adventures in the next day or two. In short, Bangkok is: HOT, familiar, HOT, very 'New York City', HOT, fashionable,  and spicy. Did I mention that it is really HOT here?

No comments: